Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Man Booked for Trying to Talk to Foreigners"

While I was looking around the Korea Times publication's website, I saw several other interesting stories like one titled, "Man Booked for Trying to Talk to Foreigners." After merely reading the title, I could see the entire scene in my mind: Soju bottles everywhere at some late night restaurant; an old drunk adjushi; foreigners eating conspicuously at a nearby table; apologetic waitstaff physically trying to prevent any bother; incredulous voices rising ; eyes widening at the foreigner table; and finally, the arrival of two gray-uniformed police officers, eyes rolling, to restore order in spite of the egos involved.

My version may be off in some of the specifics, but the article I read did nothing to disconfirm the basic narrative I'd concocted.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/02/117_39161.html


He was just trying to, "learn English from the foreigners." Poor guy; everyone in Korea can sympathize with that noble aim, it's just that he seems to have chosen the wrong time, venue, and (most likely) sobriety-level to pursue it!

No comments: